Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

AFS orientation

Last weekend we had an AFS orientation here in Ponferrada. It was almost 30 kids in total, all exchange students, and from all over the world. It was honestly one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I can't tell you how cool it is to really become close with these incredible people who have the same motivations as you do to study in a new country. I honestly love every one of them- and feel so connected with each of them. All of us have left our comfort zones, in our own cultures and languages, but to have an experience that will change our lives. I am going to try to list all of the countries that students were from: Switzerland, Hungary, Germany, Denmark, China, Turkey, Belguim, France, Finland, Latvia, Serbia, Iceland, and of course the US. Keep in mind these are only the kids from the surrounding regions- Asturias, Galicia, Castille-Leon. There's many more exchange students from other countries too all over Spain.

The actual orientation part for me wasn't the most important, but I'll talk about it anyways :) Basically I decided to travel with the exchange organization AFS partly because they are so supportive throughout the whole exchange. They host these orientations to check up on all all of us, remind us of the rules, and give us a chance to all meet and talk to each other. We played a lot of games including the ever-popular kissing game, which basically involves people running around trying to kiss each other. (on the cheek, of course) We also had questions to answer about our experiences so far, and we each got a chance to talk about how we felt we were settling into our families. My favorite activity was when we had to write a letter to our future selves, a letter that we will get back at the end of the year.

The orientation was held in sort of a secluded spot, with a dining hall and cabins. It definitely brought back my summer camp memories. :) Everything was very nice, the food was pretty good- they gave us chocolate for merienda (snack) so I was happy! We stayed up late all talking and taking pictures, and learning so much about everyone's different cultures. I know it's an experience I will never forget. I absolutely had so much fun, and I can't wait for the next one. ;)
 Some of my wonderful friends:
Luca from Hungary

Milena squared from Switzerland

Luca and Dancsi from Hungary

Sólveig from Iceland and Amy from the US

All the girls :)

Aaand everybody :)


Besos; Chao, Lani.

No comments:

Post a Comment