Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

La Comida

So I know that I really need to update... trust me I've been reminding myself to write a post for a while now. It's just alot more difficult than you would imagine because my life here has kind of evened out, and it's normal now. It's just my life, and everything is regular, and it's hard to think the things I do here would be interesting to you guys. But anyway, in this post I'm going to talk about FOOOD. Because I haven't really touched on this subject very much yet, and in my opinion Spain has such an interesting cuisine, one that's very different from America.
So today I was running around my kitchen, taking pictures of everything that I could think of that's different in America, but there's alot of things I don't have pictures of- for example I can't really show the quanity of meat we eat here, etc., so I'll just talk about that stuff.


Okay, so first- this is the tiramisu cake we had for my sister's birthday party. It's pretty standard here to have cakes at birthdays just like in the United States.















Okay so this isn't anything Spanish- but I just wanted to show how strong my skittle collection is going! (My family sent me them in a package.) It's been hard not to eat them all at once since they are so delicious and they don't exist here. :(















So another thing I wanted to mention, obviously we have Fanta and Coca-Cola in America, but there's a lot of differences here. Firstly, there's Fanta naranja and Fanta limon (lemon and orange), so if you order a Fanta at a restaurant or bar, they always ask you which one you prefer. Also, EVERYONE in Spain drinks Coca-Cola. It's literally everywhere- and nobody bothers with the diet coke stuff- actually thinking about it now, I haven't seen a single Diet Coke can since I've been in Spain. They might drink other types of pop here, but I honestly couldn't even tell you because all I see people drink is Coca-Cola and Fanta. Oh, and these drinks are sooo delicious here- I've heard it's because Europe uses real sugar? I'm not really sure on that one but seriously... yum.















Okay, now into the real "typical spanish." If someone is going to make a chocolate cake here, this is what it will be like. My abuela made this one- It's made with layers of chocolate, a whipped cream type of vanilla, and chocolate- which has the consistency of chocolate pudding, but I don't think that's actually what it is. It's kept in the refrigerator, and we eat it cold. It is so delicious. After I took this picture, I actually had a little piece. Shhhh ;)















This is something why often eat on top of salads. I'm still in the process of figuring out what it is- the bag says "Rallado" but that just means grated so that doesn't help. I know it has a little bit of a seafood taste- I promise when I figure out the name I will update this post with it! *Okay, so it's imitation crab meat :)



The coffee maker that we have- it's old fashioned but I really like it. Although the coffee in Spain is SO STRONG. I can't even drink the cafe con leche which is like a sugared, watered-down version of the coffee here. People normally don't drink coffee in the mornings. It's much more common to have a cup or two after the big lunch. And if you're going to meet a friend for coffee, that implies you will meet at around 4 pm in the afternoon, after eating lunch.















BREAD- the staple of the Spanish diet. Well, that's what I would say anyway, that bread and meat are the staples. We always eat bread- with every lunch and dinner. Bread is a necessity because you have to use it to move the food in the direction of your fork. You break off a little piece, and use it like a tool. People go to buy fresh bread probably about every other day here. There's special stores called panaderías that only sell bread. People love their bread here, and I do too. :)




















And here's the pasta that my brother loves- in the shape of bicycles. We have this for dinner a lot of times, since dinner is a very light meal- and we normally have it with some type of meat or an egg. 






This is our fruit supply- as you can see we have alot of oranges and nectarines. Those are the main fruits we eat, along with kiwis and sometimes bananas. We don't usually have apples very often, but the ones we do have are from my abuela's farm.




















This is the seasoning that is used to make pechugas which is like breaded chicken breasts. Also it can be used to bread fish with when we have that. Not every time we have meat it's breaded though- we eat so many different parts of different animals and if we have cow or lamb, it's cooked on it's own without breading.






This is a quince- it's a type of fruit if you've never heard of it before. You can't eat it though, only use it to make jam and the most possible use in Spain- quinces smell really good so people put them in closets or rooms- like a natural air freshener!















And to finish off this delicious post, these are typical Christmas sweets! They are called polvorons- and there is a lot of different varieties as you can see. There are also ones flavored "cocoa" but those were polished off before I could get a picture ;). I like them- the texture is really odd because they are really dense and dry- but the taste is really good! (Oh and sorry the pictures are sideways, I tried about a million times to rotate them until I gave up.)




These flavors are: traditional (has walnuts within), cinnamon (my fav), one made with olive oil, and that last one literally translates to "homemade ice cream." Which it's definitely not, I tried it and all I can say is it's really good and it has little sesame seeds on top.


Alright, so I think that's enough about food :) Until next time, Besos;
Lani

No comments:

Post a Comment